At GDABVI, we believe it’s important to be out in the community meeting people who have complete or partial vision loss. Oftentimes we encounter people in need of Rehabilitation Training, or Orientation and Mobility Instruction but are unsure where to seek assistance.
We offer many levels of support at no charge to vision impaired people in Southeast Michigan. In addition, we partner with many local groups and organizations to coordinate vision rehab services and educational workshops. Our staff participate in a variety of activities and expos across Southeast Michigan, plus we host events at our facility in Detroit.
We encourage you to contact us for information on any of the activities or services below at (313) 272-3900. You can also find out the latest events on the GDABVI Community Calendar.
Offerings through GDABVI:
- Participating in Health Fairs & Senior Expos.
- Sponsoring monthly Helping Hands support group meetings.
- Hosting Lions Clubs meetings: Mid City and Northwest chapters.
- Providing in-service, sensitivity training for agencies that work with people who are blind or vision-impaired in group homes, assisted living facilities.
- Conducting small group educational presentations on blindness and vision impairment.
- Offering referral services to and information about other organizations and agencies that assist blind and vision-impaired people.
- Making available adaptive aids (through our direct services) and lending out CCTV, on a limited basis.
- Coordinating “Introduction to Blindness” seminars for groups interested in understanding vision loss through experiential learning.
Participating in the Community:
- Area Agency on Aging, Regions 1A-1B-1C.
- Council of Agencies Serving the Blind (CASB)
- Dickenson Center.
- Public School Districts, including Detroit, Lincoln Park and Livonia; and Windsor, Canada.
- Rosedale-Grandmont Development Corporation.